The calendar rolled over to 2023 and our first week in January saw week 17 fly by. The return of students and staff to the building brought smiles, enthusiasm, and optimism for the best second semester yet!! Here are FIVE things to know this week:
- With the new school year we would like to remind all Falcons that being at school, and on time, everyday makes a difference in learning!! Research shows that missing 10 percent of the school year, or about 18 days in most school districts, negatively affects a student’s academic performance. That’s just two days a month and that’s known as chronic absence.Our doors open each morning at 8am and the learning bell rings at 8:15a to start our school day. Dismissal is at 3:30p each day. If you need any assistance with arrival/dismissal please let us know as we strive to have all Falcons in class and ready to learn every day.
- As you may or may not have noticed, there was a small error in our classroom pictures that were sent home with students (District was misspelled). Our picture people, Lifetouch, were happy to send new photos to replace the misspelled version, which will be sent home for each Falcon as a replacement.
- Our 7th grade Falcon art students were treated to a chat with Mr. Mitsch, a commercial artist in Rhode Island. With some artwork, you need to visit a gallery or museum to admire it, however, in Carl Mitsch's case, his artwork can be found on grocery and toy store shelves throughout the country (photo below)! He spoke about his career in graphic arts, detailing the various puzzles, toys, packaging, and shirts he has designed. You might recognize his design for Sprecher Cherry Cola, which two lucky students received as a raffle prize!
- Our middle school girls basketball season started this week. We are excited to start a new sports season. Additionally, we are excited to offer our 5th grade girls a chance to play this year due to numbers available on the team. Please reach out to Mrs. Rabe or Mr. Hoey to get your spot on the team!! Our first game is this coming Thursday, January 12th.
- Fontana is excited to start our very first Podcast in 2023. A group of 8th grade students brought an idea and some planning that will result in our own Podcast. We look forward to sharing our student driven Podcast with our school community in 2023!!
Have a great first official weekend of 2023 and stay warm Falcons!!
Your Partners in Education